Tuesday, January 23, 2007

QUESTION 7-Fahrenheit 451


Are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? Or disturbing? Or memorable? Describe these settings and comment on why they were meaningful to you.


“What have you got there?” he said.
“I guess it’s the last dandelions this year. I didn’t think I’d find one on the lawn this late. Have you ever heard of rubbing it under your chin? Look.” She touched her chin with the flower, laughing.
“Why?”
“If it rubs off, it means I’m in love. Has it?”
He could hardly do anything else but look.
“Well?” she said.
“You’re yellow under there.”
“Fine! Let’s try you now.”
“It won’t work for me.”
“Here.” Before he could move she had put the dandelion under his chin. He drew back and she laughed. “Hold still!”
She peered under his chin and frowned.
“Well?” she said.
“What a shame,” she said. “You’re not in love with anyone.”
“Yes, I am!”
“It doesn’t show.”
“I am, very much in love!” He tried to conjure up a face to fit the words, but there was no face. “I am!”
-from page 22, Fahrenheit 451

The setting which I have found most beautiful is the sidewalk where Montag and Clarisse used to meet to talk to each other and have conversations. The passage above was the most beautiful but simultaneously it was criticizing Montag’s love for Mildred. I liked the sidewalk setting because it was when Montag had a time to think deeply with Clarisse asking innocently about his life. When I was reading the part when those two were in the sidewalk talking together, it made me feel really comfortable because there were no lies and there talk was very humble.
The most disturbing setting in this novel was the parlor where there were 3 televisions which Mildred calls them “families.” The parlor was always noisy because Mildred turned them on most of the time; in addition there were 3 televisions on at the same time. Montag didn’t like the parlor families either, because he thought the televisions gave nothing but only light pleasure. But the parlor and the 3 televisions were the most important things to Mildred, even more than her husband. Mildred wanted another television so she could have one for each walls and ultimately she would be trapped inside a room with television walls. She would talk with her friends only about what was on TV the previous night.

No comments: