Tuesday, January 23, 2007

QUESTION 6-Fahrenheit 451

Please choose one passage from the novel that is significant to you. Why is this passage meaningful? Please type it into one of your entries and comment on what you think about the passage.

“Faber?”
“Yes?”
“I’m not thinking. I’m just doing like I’m told, like always. You said get the money and I got it. I didn’t really think of it myself. When do I start working things out on my own?”
“You’ve started already, by saving what you just said. You’ll have to take me on faith.”
“I took the others on faith!”
“Yes, and look where we’re headed. You’ll have to travel blind for a while. Here’s my arm to hold onto.”
“I don’t want to change sides and just be told what to do. There’s no reason to change if I do that.”
“You’re wise already!”
-from page 92, Fahrenheit 451

In this novel, most of the people who live in this time are simple-minded. They only think what they want to think and do only things which please them. They do not think deeply enough to know what they are doing and what they are doing for. Montag was like that, too. He did not question himself why he burns books for his job. He only did things what he was told to do. This passage is very meaningful in a way that Montag learned that he has to think for himself and do what his own mind tells him to do, or else, reading books and spreading it to other people would mean nothing.
This passage was very significant to me because I saw love and true friendship between Montag and Faber. It was hard to see kind feelings for each other in this book since the people were so cold and careless to each other. I think in this passage, Montag found out about true meaning of life. He found out that following what other people said to him wasn’t the meaning of life; at least he didn’t want to live that way. I could see in this passage that Montag’s thinking improved since the beginning of the book when he thought he was happy and was satisfied with his life.

No comments: